Monday, August 24, 2009

Today was better than yesterday!

So my days vary in regards to how good of a day I have....I use the pain scale that the VA loves to use for physical pain.....thats about a joke. Anyway today was a smily face and not as painful as yesterday. This applies to Bill and myself. Him with pain and me for stress because when his pain is down in the lower area of the pain chart where a frown begins to come out.....well then that ruins my day because I either feel bad for him or I stress myself out trying to not set him off. It has gotten alot better and since his last surgery I feel like we are getting along better and we understand eachother so much better. He has been reading alot and writing in his journal and even writing poetry....thats strange for me but it has helped him apparently. He is on this how can I please my wife kick. He is basically trying to make up for all the years that we have been fighting not just with eachother but with life. I began to feel a little selfish and I told him that I was tired of everything being only about him all the time. I know that seems wrong but I have sacrificed things too. For one my sanity and two my confidence. Its coming back.....slowly but its coming! Anyway Bill has been buying me cute things, doing the dishes when he can tolerate standing, laundry and he has just all of a sudden gained this desire to try extra hard to make me happy. I appreciate his efforts and I am so glad that he is getting joy out of it too. Its been a long time since he has had this kind of motivation. Today Me, Bill and the kids went and ran some errands and then took the kids to the skate park. So my theory is that now my husband is out of the military he misses blowing stuff up so much and he is an adrenaline rush junkie....now he is taking his wheelchair to the skate park so he can pack what little danger he can into his day without actually hurting himself or other people. Its constructive, it gets him out of the house and its a good workout for him. I of course am always on standby with a box of huge bandaids just in case. The only problem is that the motto go big or go home stands strong in our home. Its a little scary and a little stressful. So with his track record of injuries....I dont think my big box of bandaids is going to make much of a difference. So now on to modifying the wheelchair for tricks, jumps and grinding. I hope other wounded warriors can learn that the word disability still has the word ability in it. It sometimes takes seeing what other disabled people can actually do with what little they have to motivate others to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment