Monday, August 17, 2009

The Cliff's Notes

So I am new to this whole blogging "experience" so I think I should introduce myself and give you an idea of my situation so I dont have to do what I normally do which is tell the dang story 50 times a day.....or I just get to the point where now I just say hi to people and forget all the rest and if someone asks how I am doing I just say I am doing fine or good.....even if I am not fine. It saves me hours of explaining and questions and dumbfounded looks. My name is Naomi and my husband was injured in Iraq June 23rd 2004. He was driving lead vehicle in a small convoy on a night mission when his humvee hit and IED which was detonated from nearby. The blast was large enough to toss and uparmored humvee into the air and onto its top. The humvee was demolished. Everyone lived but a few of the guys including my husband were very severely injured. My husband was injured the worst since the blast was basically all on the driver side where he was sitting. Alot of people say wow he was so lucky. Yeah I guess you could say that but over the past 5 years we havent felt very lucky along this beaten path that the military likes to refer to as recovery. Its more like hell on earth. Nobody on the planet can prepare you for what I have and continue to deal with. My husband's injuries consist of a L1-L4 burst fracture....he how has hardware holding his spine together. He has a RBK (right below the knee) amputation after a year of limb salvaging his right foot. He just had reconstructive surgery done on his left foot and ankle (another limb slavage basically) a few months ago and is just now beginning to bare weight on it. He had a revision done on his stump last year so it was kind of considered a second amputation since they had to remove 2 inches of bone to fix his issue. He also has a TBI and plenty of good ol' PTSD to go around. He has left leg nerve damage and he also has pains in his left knee from overcompensation while trying to walk for 5 years on a broken foot that the Army addressed as fine. Anyway the road to recovery for us has been a very long and stressful one. Words cannot express what my emotions have been through. When I say us as in our road to recovery I mean just that.....we are recovering together because I dont care what anyone says.....we both suffer and we both carry the burden of war injuries. Thats just the way it is. Now after 5 years of dealing with more than a husband and a wife should endure we are trying to get our lives on a somewhat normal path and finally get some stability back. My only worry now is that my husband may lose his other leg eventually and that mentally I am now on my last crayon in my box of 120. He just recieved his 100% permanent and total VA disability rating after fighting and apealing twice while his buddies have just slipped right through the arms of the system with their back pains and their mild if any TBIs and gotten their 100% over a year ago with no issues. So here it is 5 years later and I am going to try out college since I havent been able to go back to school or work in quite some time. I am just trying to get my mind right and do normal things that normal people do every day. I dont know what normal is anymore if there even is such a thing. If there is.....can I borrow some please. I will pay you back later!

No comments:

Post a Comment