Sunday, November 27, 2011

An anventure in another person's religion

SO the post holiday grumpies have set in.....I ruined my good eating habits on Thnksgiving and I cant quit eating these stupid little peppermint hershey kisses.  It is almost finals week and I think I am getting stressed out.  I have two huge projects coming up and three big tests in the next two weeks.  One of my projects is for this World Religions class.  Its hard to research in books and shit for me.  I dont retain much of what I read.  So I have chose to interview a local store owner about his religion and the common misinterpretations between Muslims and Hindus. The yare very much different.....Hinduism and Islam is very much different.  SO I am going to get his input on how he feels about his religion, the common confusion with the two, and get his perspective on how he and his family have been treated since 9/11 due to the common confusion between muslims and the hindu people.  Both are genuinely peaceful people give or take a few stereotypes.  So we have only covered two religions thus far in this term but since my husband was injured in Iraq I have had my share of negative feelings toward people who appear to resemble possible Iraqis.  You know I have learned so much in the past 7 years and my ignorance and intolerance has shed away and I have since taken the time to learn about the people of ther cultures so that I can cure myself of misconstruing situations like that.  I admit that I have made some horrible judgements in the past but in a sense I think we as humans do that naturally and unless we catch ourselves doing it then it will continue happening.  I feel like my project will be successful as long as I ask the questions appropriately, that is my biggest goal because when participating in something such as interviewing a person about their religious faith and such you have to be very careful not to offend them or make them feel uncomfortable.  Its going to take me all day just to get the questioning correct.  I am a bit nervous though.  Anyways this project I have taken the most time to think about because it is very important for me to get it right.  Alot of pressure I guess.  I want to represent these people that I am interviewing properly.  We shall see how it plays out.  I think it will be great.  Getting an inside perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment